Saturday, July 2, 2011

Quick and Clean White Balance Fix

white balance

Here is a very quick way I found to correct white balance. At a recent shoot, I was indoors and surrounded by very small incandescent light sources. When I was close to these, the lighting was decent, however when I was further away, I depended more on flash. If I were to use too much flash near these lights, I would get a blue image.

In the case of the above, I got a red image. The reason this happened is because I had my white balance set to fluorescent, when I was shooting under incandescent lighting. The camera overcompensated in the red tones, giving me a very "warm" image.

Here are the steps you can take to quickly correct your white balance [Photoshop required]:

1) Open Adobe Bridge
2) Navigate to your image file
3) Right click and select "Open in Adobe Camera Raw"
4) Select the White Balance Tool (looks like an eyedropper)
5) Select an area on the image that represents white

You may need to make some minor adjustments, but this should get you pretty close!

No comments:

Post a Comment