Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Youtube Beta-Testing Charging for Videos

I was cruising the web today and ended up on the site I end up on at least once a week, YouTube. I always go here to watch others music videos, also to watch my previous videos and note any progression. I think of it as studying. Recently, I started browsing the "Top Videos" section on the homepage, and today that landed me on hotforwords' channel. In the description, [and after realizing how hot this girl is] I noticed in bold letters "USD $0.99.

At first, I thought "huh, is she charging you to participate in the contest?" I clicked on the description and that revealed a link in which to download an .mp4 of the video. Then it clicked, YouTube is now charging people to download their videos. And wait, they probably give the partners a cut and it allows everyone to generate more revenue. Brilliant! Well, not really, it's just basic marketing. Their are obvious benefits to doing this, the main probably being to help control illegal downloads by offering a legal solution *cough* to make more $$$ *cough*

Apparently the option is only available to a limited group of publishers, just as they have run their beta tests in the past. The publisher may choose the cost and license type upon initiating the service. Google Checkout is used for making payments.

I suspect the system will officially roll out this Summer (I do not have any information to support this).

This is the video I originally saw with the option:

No comments:

Post a Comment